My photography and jewelry making journey. Please visit the Vintage Cravens blog for new product releases, outfit posts, shop updates, etc.

Monday, February 1, 2016

Definitely a Splash! Robin's Egg Blue, Meet All Jeweled in White!

Grandma's Roseville Planter on My Test Background

Remember Grandma's Roseville planter? Here it is on my freshly painted background for All Jeweled in White! Read on to see what components of my new line look like plus a top secret photo tip!

I couldn't be more thrilled with the robin's egg blue color I decided to test with my new line as a potential backdrop. I love how the pearls, crystals, antique brass and silver look with it. I like it plain, but adding a few well placed props kicks things up a notch. I went through my stash of antique postcards and pulled together several that will work. Here is a good example of one with some of the components I'll be using for my line plus one with my favorite antique book and one all alone.

Some Options With My Test Background


So, what was that photo tip I promised? Well, here it is! One of my favorite things to use to bounce a little light back into photographs is plain old white foamcore propped up with hardware store clips. There are so many ways to make use of the stuff. Simply cut it to shape with a razor blade, attach a clip and you're ready to go. Another thing I've tried is to tape two pieces together to make a nice corner. This is great for bigger things, but is a little unwieldy. In the photo of Grandma's planter, I have a light source coming at about a 45 degree angle from the right plus a single white 'bounce card' on the left the reflect the light back in. That beautiful black background? Yep! Foamcore in black!

Photo Tip: Foamcore and Hardware Store Clips Work Wonders with Light!

Happy Photographing!
Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment